Saturday, September 10, 2011

The thing that drives me

Today's run / walk session was challenging.  For some reason my knees or the joint bits by my knees felt quite stiff and vaguely painful.  Not significantly, but a bit.  I don't know why - I didn't do anything different, I had a rest day in between, my legs were not sore from last time.  Sigh!  Not sure what was up. 

Today I found myself wondering how long before running becomes comfortable and possibly easier.  Right now I am dreading week 3 onwards to be honest. 

Remind me again why I chose to do a 5km run as my goal...

Oh well, I suppose this is like anything in life, if you really want something you need to put the effort in.  And we all know the effort is not always going to be easy. 

One thing that drives me though is the time Bianca was still on treatment and the one drug in particular really affected her legs making it nearly impossible to run and certainly not the way other kids would run.  So once her school had a cross country event which for Bianca's age really just meant running around the field and I was so worried that she would fail before she even started.  The school assured me that Bianca could either have a walking buddy or be a special helper.  And Bianca insisted she was going to participate.  And not only that, but she finished the race, despite coming dead last.  Now that is determination for you!  Read about that day here.

No comments: