Saturday, September 17, 2011

Apart from an embarrassing moment, I feel pretty proud

Today I decided to go for my walk again.  My knee was feeling better so I thought I'd give it a go.  I walked earlier in the week and it was okay.  So Bianca and I set off for her friends' home a bit further up the street.  They invited her for a sleep over (second night in a row - isn't she lucky?).  And so Bianca set off on her scooter and scooted off a bit ahead of me while I was walking with her bag and listened to Basshunter on my ipod.  I like Basshunter because his music is a bit faster and so it encourages me to up my pace a little bit.  A bit ahead of me Bianca suddenly stopped and said "Mum, I can hear you!"  So embarrassed!!!!  Turned out I was singing along and let me tell you - my singing is best kept for the shower or if I'm on the way somewhere in the car.  By myself.  Where others don't have to hear me.  Or when the kids want me to sing the sleepy time song I made up for Bianca when she was about 4 weeks old (yes, after 8 years I'm still asked to sing it every night). 

But anyway, got there and I had a cup of tea and a chat with Bianca's friends' parents and finally I left and set off on my walk.  I decided I would try and jog just to see how it goes and I kept coping and kept feeling comfortable enough and wow!  I managed to jog quite a bit further than I ever thought would be possible.  But there I was.  Not feeling like I was about to die.  Sure my legs felt like jelly when I stopped and walked the rest of the way home, but I wasn't significantly out of breath and my legs coped okay.  Wow! I'm pretty impressed with myself.  I might actually be able to put a 5km run on my list.

So apart from embarrassing myself, I feel incredibly proud of what I achieved today.  I think there is hope for me yet!

2 comments:

Paul said...

Proud of you,Lea. It is a slow process to fitness and great patience is required. I'm thrilled you managed to run a large amount. A walk tomorrow with reduced running would be a suitable recovery from today.

Lea White said...

Thanks Paul :-). Your encouragement is certainly helping a lot! I really appreciate all your advice. Well the amount I ran was large for me, won't be large in your world ;-). Excellent, I will give the walking / reduced running a try tomorrow.