Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Start

There is always a start to a new journey.  And this is the start to my new journey.  I am tired of being fat and unfit and it is time to do something to get myself on the road to a healthier lifestyle. 

I need to lose about 23kg.  And I would love to eventually be able to enter a running race, but that will take time.  For now I will just get back to walking.   I started a route last time I did a bit of walking and it is around 3.7km and right now it takes me about 40 minutes to walk that.  It is a nice route.  A relaxing route past houses and trees and listening to the birds chirping away in the trees.  And on a sunny day you simply can't beat that.  I will also be investigating possibly going swimming again, but I'll need to see what options there are at the local indoor swimming pool.

I'll also have to plan some meals.  We don't do too bad I guess - we don't cook with salt, we rarely use oil and rather use our George Foreman grill to grill meat or we bake things in the oven.  We steam our veggies in the microwave or eat things like carrots raw.  We cut down on drinking diet coke.  We don't drink coffee, but I do have a sweet tooth and that is my downfall unfortunately.  And the kids and I love baking which doesn't help to stop the temptations (sigh!).   And I think we probably don't choose the best carbohydrates all of the time.  So I have a lot to learn about making good eating / meal choices. 

I believe that if I can just keep going I will succeed.  After all if this inspirational lady can do it, then I can too.   So here I go - wish me luck! :-)

1 comment:

blackhuff said...

You are absolutely right in saying that it will take time to run a race and also lose the weight. But you will get there, I'm sure of it :)
3.7km is a very good distance you did. Well done.
You can most certainly DO it! You've started already :)