Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Taking the first step

I have taken the first step in getting fitter. 

A friend has been doing the Couch to 5k programme and it seems a good way to get into running (note I didn't say easy, I said good).  It is good because it is a slow and gradual process to go from nothing to being able to manage a 5k run.  And I love that it has podcasts you can download to your ipod so I'll have a little voice guiding me when I should walk and when I should run and so on. 

One of my biggest problems with starting this is my shoes.  I have 2 pairs of running type shoes.  A pair I've had for a while and a newer pair.  Usually I wear the older pair when I go for my walks and they are okay.  I didn't choose the shoes for any particular purpose and gave no real thought to what should go into choosing shoes.  The other day I went for my walk and I wore the newer pair and they are okay for around the house or strolling around the mall, but halfway with my walk (the one where I try and walk a bit faster) my toes became numb.  So not good!  No way that I'm able to even attempt a run with this.

So today (upon a friend's suggestion) I went to a place where they looked at my feet.  They look at your arch, they look at your stride and whether your ankles roll inwards or outwards or are straight.  I never knew choosing shoes were so technical.  But there you go.  They also look at where I put most of my weight when I walk and they use this sensor mat and then they fit you into shoes based on that and make you walk on a treadmill and then they do this video thing that shoes them whether your feet are straight or not and so they keep going until they find a pair of shoes that fit as well as they can. 

I didn't end up buying my shoes from them because the cost was a bit above my price range and since I'm a beginner I can't justify spending the amount they were charging. 

My friend then pointed me to a great site.  She's ordered from them before and they are reliable and they were significantly cheaper than the store. 

So now I've made the first step.  Soon my shoes will be here.  And that means I will be all set.  And to justify the cost, I simply must work hard at my goal. 

1 comment:

blackhuff said...

Lea, I so know what you feel like. I too got my feet analyzed but the shoes they wanted me to buy, was just too expensive. Still as well. So I went and did some browsing and found a store which will price the same shoes, for less. So maybe look around and see.